The following areas will constitute the core area for the JOP RO-UA-MD:
- In Romania, the counties of Suceava, Botosani, Iasi, Vaslui. Galati, and Tulcea
- In Ukraine, the oblasts of Odessa, and Chernivtsi
- In Republic of Moldova, the whole country.
In addition, certain non-border adjacent areas, that may positively influence the cooperation in the border area, have been included. These are:
- In Romania, the county of Braila
- In Ukraine:
- the oblasts of Ivano-Frankivsk, and Vinniytska
- ten districts of Khmelnyitska (Vinkovetskyi, Chemerovetskyi, Khmelnytskyi, Kamyanets-Podilskyi, Letychivskyi, Dunayevetskyi, Derazhnyanskyi Novoushutskyi, Yarmolynetskyi and Horodetskyi),
- twelve districts of Ternopilskyi, Berezhanskyi, Pidgayetskyi, Terebovlyanskyi, Monsturskyi, Gusyatynskyi, Chortkivskyi, Borschchivskyi, Zalishutskyi and Buchatskyi in the oblast of Ternopilska.
The adjoining areas have access to all priorities of the program but only soft projects have been implemented in these areas.
All the above areas are called “eligible areas” – meaning that only projects developed in these areas could be funded under the JOP RO-UA-MD.